Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chef Grace

Matt had a dinner to go to tonight, so I had to fend for myself... I managed to make a whole meal on my own! Although this isn't a HUGE feat now, a few years ago this could have been disastrous. 

Matt watched me cook something once a few years ago and was appalled (and possibly afraid for his, and my, life). Back then, aside from having close to ZERO basic culinary and knife skills (I probably should not have any fingers), I also had never used a gas stove (I grew up with an electric one).

Let's just say I had some trouble getting the burner to light and may or may not have almost blown up the whole apartment... Did I mention Matt was afraid for his life? 

Anyways, I feel like I have come a LONG way in the kitchen in the past few years, and with the help of Matt (and Alton Brown), I may not be the BEST cook in the world, but I definitely have learned a lot! So without further adieu, I present you with... my dinner.

(There aren't as many pictures as I would have liked to document all the steps, but it was a bit difficult to prep, cook and photograph all at the same time. But...the apartment and I are unharmed! Winner!!)

Panko-Crusted Veal Scallopini on a Bed of Arugala and Tomatoes
Veal Ingredients: Veal Scallopini, Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Eggs, Flour, Panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs), Butter, Canola Oil
Salad: Arugala, Grape Tomatoes, Spanish Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar

Directions: Using 3 separate containers, place AP flour in the first container, beat an egg and add paprika and garlic powder in the second container, and panko in the last container.
 Remove veal from packaging and tenderize the meat (if you don't have a meat tenderizer, a fork works nicely). Season each side with salt and pepper. 
Create an assembly line: veal, flour, egg, panko, pan, plate lined with a paper towel. Having everything in order and ready to go will make it MUCH easier to manage everything once you start cooking.
Place a pan on medium-heat, pour enough Canola oil to just coat the bottom of the pan and add a small tab of butter. While waiting for the oil to heat up, dip the veal into the flour, dunk in egg mixture, coat in panko. 
I recommend getting 3-4 pieces (depending on the size of your pan, and the size of your veal) ready to go before dropping it into the pan. After you place the veal in the pan, start coating up and getting those other pieces ready. 
Using a pair of tongs, turn the veal over when the bottom is a nice golden brown (should only take about 1-2 minutes per side). Remove veal and place on your paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining veal. If the pan looks a little dry, add a little more oil and/or butter (or both) before putting more pieces in.

I had put my salad on the plate first and added some tomatoes. Once the veal was finished, I drizzled some olive oil and balsamic on the salad and then placed a few pieces of veal on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment