Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Good Investments and Taco Tuesday

Went to Atlantic City this weekend for the first time. Had a good time despite the interesting clothing choices I saw. Not as many blow outs as I expected to see, but did see a pretty class BALD-out... he even had a chin strap to go along with the look!

Also, is this just a New Jersey phenomenon, or maybe I missed the memo, but we saw TONS of people carrying their clothes on hangers. I mean, I can understand putting a blazer or a suit jacket on a hanger to keep it from wrinkling... but some guy had a duffel bag, and had a pair of jeans slug over his shoulder (oh no! his jeans may get creased in a bag???) and a jacket on a hanger. This was a common occurrence all weekend. Bizarre behavior.

So, the best part of the day was when I accompanied Matt to the Craps table. I wasn't playing, but simply observing the game, and learning the rules from Matt. Eventually the dice came toward the side of the table we were at, and this older gentleman standing next to me asked if I was going to roll. As I wasn't really playing at the time, I gave a little shrug and indecisive "I don't know..." answer.

His reply? He plops down $10 on the table and told me he was going to "sponsor" my roll. I can't really refuse free money right? So I roll, and win! I go to give him my winnings only to be waved away and told to could keep whatever I won... which after 15 minutes of rolling, was quite a bit. It was kind of exciting having the whole table chanting my name. I managed to use the money I won at the table for the remainder of my stay AND make a little more money on top of that. Atlantic City success!
-------------------
Now on to dinner... we seem to be cooking foods that start with a "T" on Tuesdays. This is definitely not intentional, I promise, but amusing nonetheless. So I introduce to you... Tacos!

Homemade Soft Tacos

Taco Meat Ingredients: 90% Ground Sirloin, Onions, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, Black Pepper, Chili Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Paprika, Cilantro, Lime
Other Ingredients: Sour Cream, Whole Wheat Tortillas, Manchego Cheese, Romaine Lettuce, Plum Tomatoes

Directions: Dice 1 plum tomato, grate Manchego cheese and shred some Romaine lettuce. Place each into their own bowls and set aside. 

Take a handful of cilantro (leaves off of 2-3 sprigs) and chop fine. Set aside.

Dice 1/2 a Spanish onion. Heat a skillet under medium-heat and add some canola oil. Sweat onions for about 5 minutes, or until translucent, and season with salt.

When onions are clear around the edges, add 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes and mix in.
Add ground beef to the pan, making sure to break up the large chunks, and stir occasionally.

After about 5 minutes, or when meat is just about browned through, add:
1/2 tsp each of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cumin
1 tsp each of chili powder and paprika
Stir spices into meat mixture and turn heat down slightly (should be just under a simmer) for 10 minutes to thicken the juices in the pan. Stir occasionally.
1-2 minutes before taking off the heat, add the cilantro into the meat and squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime.

Now go create some tacos!


I wrapped up the leftovers, and just had to take a picture. So cute! It looks like it belongs in an American Express commercial!

Smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment