Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Poached Egg and Pasta

I am super proud of myself and my culinary achievement... I poached my first egg! I didn't have any regular vinegar so I did improvise by using balsamic vinegar... whatever, don't judge it worked and that's all that matters!

Basically brought up some water to a rolling boil and then turned it down until it was more of a simmer. I added in some balsamic, to help the egg white form faster, and made sure the water was still simmering. With a slotted spoon I gently stirred the water before dropping in my egg (I cracked the egg and placed it in a small prep bowl to make this easier).

At first, I thought the egg exploded because there were stringy whites everywhere, but after a few seconds of using my spoon to sort of "fold" the water over the egg to help contain the whites, there in the middle of the water was this pretty little egg. I shut off the heat at this point, covered my pot, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
Using my slotted spoon, I carefully scooped up my egg and placed it on top of my pasta.
In the pasta I added some salt, pepper, garlic, onions, peas, grated Parmesan, and a tab of butter. Topped with my, slightly balsamic vinegary colored, poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment